Hostgator Web Hosting Review – If you are looking for a reliable and professional web host service to help you with your websites, you probably heard about HostGator web hosting in the recommended list. Aside the fact that they are super popular with different kinds of services and offers, they are also known for the many features. The company has done such a good job in creating a brand image with their name. And the fact that they are willing to add extra services or features is another positive point that you can appreciate from the company.
HostGator Different Services
If you are happy with their regular service, the HostGator Shared, you can continue using their service. However, as the company is doing improvements and coming up with new innovations, they are releasing a premium service, known as the WordPress HostGator Cloud. This service has been around for quite a while so several people have tested it. What’s the verdict? It’s a good thing that aside the Shared option, the Cloud can be an alternative to reliable performance and flawless outcome.
Although there are some basic differences between the two options, they are all offering the same perks: top-notch performance and quality operation for all of the users. It won’t hurt, though, to learn some of the basic differences between the two so you can make a better decision of which service to choose from HostGator web hosting.
- The price for the old Shared service is around $2.75 per month while the Cloud one will cost you $5 a month. However, the latter one gives you the opportunity to pay monthly.
- The uptime for the old service is 99.97% while the new one is 99.96%
- The speed for the old one is 991ms while the new one is only 462ms – which means that you can cut the speed into a half with the new service
Those are some of the collected data about the old Shared service and the new Cloud offer. It depends on your needs, really, to determine which coverage to choose. Some people may be enough with the old system while some may require a new update and improvement – this is where the Cloud system will be super handy. Think carefully of which service you need and whether you are willing to spend extra – which will be rewarded with the additional features. You will get what you pay for, really.
Understanding the Company
As it was mentioned before, HostGator web hosting is popular for several good reasons. If you are looking for a company that would be in the most popular lists running on the global scope, you will find this name within the list.
First of all, this Houston-based company is one of the biggest web hosting companies in the world. They claim to have more than 9 million of domain hosting names, and they are working together with Linux and Cisco. Second, the company was set up in 2002, which means that they have been in the business for a while. The original founder was Brent Oxley but after 10 years in the business, it was acquired by EIG (Endurance International Group) – the same company owning (and managing( Justhost, Fatcow, Bluehost, iPage, and several other companies.
The company has managed to expand their service. They had datacenter base in Provo (Utah) and Houston. But in 2012, the company has expanded the company to India. They are truly serious in expanding their reach to international platform, and with India as the new power in technology, they have done a smart move in moving forward. As you can see, they are serious about their global development and setting up a branch in India has shown their commitment.
The Price Factors
When you consult HostGator web hosting, you should learn about their pricing packages and options. So, what are the possible packages that you can choose?
- Hatchling Package. You can enjoy having one domain name, unlimited storage, unlimited disk space, and also unlimited subdomains – by only paying around $3 per month.
- Baby Package. By spending around $6 per month, you can enjoy unlimited domain names, bandwidth, and also storage.
- Business Package. It is almost the same as the Baby Package where you spend around $6 a month. However, besides the common services and coverage, you can also enjoy the toll free number, free dedicated SSL, and also IP.
Reliable and Promising Uptime
Uptime is one of the most crucial factors in the web hosting service because it is the one that will ensure your site to be running with consistent performance and stable connection. You need to remember that a website depends so much on the connection – without it, it will be functionless. People won’t be able to come and visit your site – and it plays a huge impact on your business. Do you know that a 3-second delay can have a negative impact on your business up to 50%? For you, it may be ‘only’ a 3-second lag but even a second delay will cost a business so much and creates a loss.
That’s why the uptime is super important and you want to make sure that you only choose the service who can offer more than 99% of stable uptime. The good thing about HostGator web hosting is the uptime is around 99.97% which is super good and reliable. Based on a study that was conducted for several months, the uptime was able to reach 100% and it was an impressive achievement. Although the uptime has been decreased in number over the past few months, the numbers were still ranging in between 99.94% and 99.98%. This is quite impressive. If you are looking for a solid, stable, and consistent online ability, it would be understandable if HostGator is included in your option list.
Nice Customer Support
The customer support isn’t impressive, but it is pretty fast and responsive. There are other web host services that offer almost excellent and perfect customer support (they are super fast and responsive) but not so much with the HostGator, but it isn’t bad either. If you are looking for a customer support that can respond within less than 24 hours after you contact them, then HostGator won’t disappoint you. They WILL absolutely respond in less than that time period.
In terms of a complete service, the company is able to provide a contact service through email, live chat, and phone. The response is friendly and quite helpful. They can provide insights, explanations, answers, and even suggestions to the questions or problems. The response from the customer support team of HostGator web hosting is quite well, thorough, detailed, and friendly – talking to them is definitely a nice experience.
Longer Money Back Guarantee
Whereas other companies are offering a standard 30-day money back guarantee, the company will give you an extra two weeks to 45 days so you can really test and enjoy their performance before signing off a contract, which will put you into a deal from between one year and three years.
However, the money back guarantee has some restrictions and limitations so you can’t expect it to apply in every situation or payment. For instance, if you have paid some money for the administrative fee or a dedicated server, then you won’t get the refund. If you pay with money order, a check, or through a transfer, you can’t expect the refund. If you are going to seal the deal, it is best that you read the entire sections on the contract and agreement. Otherwise, you may regret your decision and you won’t get your money back.
Other Useful and Beneficial Features
When you consult HostGator web hosting, you can be sure that you will get tons of perks and benefits, such as:
- Friendly user interface, especially for beginners. Not all users are tech savvy so having a system that is easily used and operated can be very helpful. You can also enjoy the various tutorials, walkthrough, and also step-by-step methods. You shouldn’t have any problem operating the system but if you encounter an issue, there are also various sources and guidance that will assist you.
- Free migration. In the event that you need to relocate your site, HostGator will be more than happy to help – and it’s even better with their free of charge offer. Yes, they won’t charge you a dime for it.
- Better security system. One of the things to like is the enhanced security and protection. Expect such things as auto malware removal, free certificate for SSL (to help you with website transaction processing), and also daily backup for the database. Another layered protection is the DDoS protection so you won’t have to worry about any attack. Don’t forget that security plays a crucial role in the website business because everyone wants to consult a company with solid protection and security perimeter.
Some of the Downsides
It should come natural to you that nothing is perfect. Despite all the great benefits you can enjoy from this company, there are still several flaws and downsides to expect. For a starter, the speed is quite so-so – it isn’t sluggishly slow but it isn’t super fast either. The company may have impressive uptime performance but then again, it isn’t accompanied by the impressive speed.
The standard speed is around 890ms whereas the HostGator’s speed is around 991ms – which is the average and standard speed provided by the company. From this data alone, you can tell that the speed is below the standard and it isn’t good. If you are taking things seriously in the SEO factor, speed is important. When your site is loading quite slowly, it will hurt the sale and business. This is definitely not impressive, considering that there are other smaller companies that are able to deliver better (and naturally faster) speed.
What are the possible downsides that you should be worried about their services?
- You may have to pay extra for the true and professional backup feature. Sure, the website will provide the backup feature that is done manually. It’s not bad but it isn’t perfect either. If you are looking for a premium backup service, you will have to make the extra spending, which will cost you around $15 per year. If customers aren’t happy with the backup service provided by the company, they welcome their clients to find the third-party provider who can provide a better and more inexpensive backup ability.
- You may have to deal with the pricing tricks and limitation – which are basically the standard tricks and strategies in this industry. For instance, when you choose the basic plan, you probably think ‘Oh, I only need to spend less than $5 a month.” But then, you will have to seal the deal for a longer term – such as 2 or 3 years. For some people, they may not have any problem with this, but what if you want to use the service for only 1 year? Or what if you just want to test the service for around 6 months only?
Learning what to expect from this company can help you make a better and wiser decision. When it comes to the signup and processing, the entire stages are super easy. The company also accepts different kinds of payment types but they focus more on payments through PayPal and credit card. Don’t be too surprised when you have to deal with hidden clauses and fees – which can be a turnoff for the entire service.
As with other businesses in the industry, you should be prepared of the possible problems and disappointment. But then again, not everything is perfect. In fact, there is no such a thing about perfection in this world. When you choose a service, you want to be sure that the positive aspects exceed the negative ones. Moreover, you want to choose a service that has the important features you need – not necessarily the most advanced or sophisticated. As long as it meets your requirements, then you have found your soul mate. So, what do you think about HostGator web hosting and whether it fulfils your needs?