When you start to plan a new business, one of the important aspects is to have a website with the customized domain name. Registering a domain name for your website could be easier when you know the information and the instruction as you could read below.
What is a Domain Name?
A domain name is the website name where internet users can type the address in order to access your website. The computers use IP addresses such as 134.891.675.432 for the website, therefore it will be difficult for people to remember the series of numbers.
So, a domain name will simplify this difficulty by letting the website owner register a domain name instead of using IP addresses. For example, you want to send reservation booking to a hotel, let’s say the name of the hotel is Paradise Hotel and their IP address is 134.891.675.432 but the website name is www.paradisehotel.com.
It will be easier for you to send an email to email@example.com instead of you need to type firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Benefit of Registering a Domain Name
Having a domain name will have a huge impact on your business. First, it will help to state and expose your brand. By having the right domain, it could target more right viewers that you hope to visit your website.
Second, selecting the right domain name could help internet users easy to remember about your brand. Sometimes, this is difficult since you will be able to register a new domain name when it’s not registered yet by other users.
Third, it will help to improve the search engine optimization (SEO) ranking. Even when they don’t know your website name but when they google about your brand, they could find it easily in the first page of google search.
Choose Between Free or Paid Domain Name
The Free Domain Name could be obtained from several website builders such as WordPress.com, Strikingly.com, Ucraft.com, and many more. The disadvantage of registering to free domain names is that you will have a sub-domain instead of real domain name.
For example, you choose the name of your new hotel business in Lucerne Switzerland and you want to have a website name LucerneParadiseHotel.com if you are using the free domain name from WordPress the website name will be LucerneParadiseHotel.wordpress.com
On the other hand, if you choose to register a paid domain name, it will be better for your business. Not only look more professional but if you want to switch to another service provider in the future, the domain is portable.
You could also buy a domain name directly from a website builder such as Wix or Weebly. Please note that it will be not a sub-domain, therefore, you will have a custom domain name such as www.lucerneparadisehotel.com.
Usually, the website builder will offer more benefits such as free domain name for a year if you subscribe to the annual plan. Please also note that the fee will be renewed yearly and the domain name registrar or the website builder will send you notification email before it is expired. If you don’t renew it, you will lose the domain name and it will available for others to purchase it.
Choose the Domain Extensions
When you are registering a domain name, you will also need to choose for the domain extension. Until today, the .COM is still the largest domain extension that still be used worldwide. Other options of domain extensions are .NET, .ORG, .INFO and also countries domain extension such as .UK, .EU, DE and many more.
List of Best Domain Name Registrars that You Can Use
Another option that you could use besides register a domain name through the website builder is purchasing a domain name through a domain name registrar. Below are the lists of the best domain name registrars for your reference.
- GoDaddy at www.godaddy.com
- Namecheap at www.namecheap.com
- Domain.com at www.domain.com
- Hover at www.hover.com
- Google Domains at https://domains.google.com
- Dreamhost at www.dreamhost.com
Step by Step to Register a Domain Name
Once you have chosen either free or paid domain name, the extension and the best domain name registrars, here are step by step to register a domain name:
- Once you have chosen if you want the best domain name registrar that you want to use, check if the website name is still available. You can check this from the best domain name registrar by type it on search column. For example, you can go to www.godaddy.com then search the website name that you want to use. if it’s not available then you will need to think of other names.
- Next step, if the desired website name is available, you will need to choose the domain extension such as .com, .org, .net, etc. It could be an exhausting journey since millions of domain names are already registered. Same as the first step, if you feel that you want to use .com instead of others, you may need to think to change the website name.
- Once you have the right website name with the domain extension, you could purchase the domain name for a one-year period until maximum 10-year period. You will need to have a credit card or PayPal account for the purchase method.
- Once you have paid the domain name registrar, you own already the domain name. Next step that you can do is to find the web host for the domain name. The domain registrar usually will have the list of available options of web hosting during the registration process. This will be easier for you since you will not need to do any additional set up.
- If you are still not sure which web host that you want to use, allow the domain registrar to park your domain name at a website temporarily. This is the quickest way for you to secure your domain name.
So, it is not difficult to register a domain name for your website if you have already known what kind domain name that you want to have and the instructions on how to purchase it. Most of the domain name registrars will have the support centre and live chat where you could ask them for clearer information.